Sunday Worship: with St. Andrew’s congregation at 10:00 a.m.
We are located at:
1300 Pine Avenue, Trail, BC
Office hours are Monday to Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
A Little bit of History
Trail United Church, (TUC) or “the Heritage Church”, is located in downtown Trail, beside City Hall. The main office for the pastoral charge is located within, as is the office for our minister.
In May of 1895, a Presbyterian missionary conducted the first Protestant service in Trail. The need for a church soon became evident and plans were made to erect a suitable building, which was opened for worship in September 1886. This was the first church built in Trail and made available for use by other denominations. About 1917 the Presbyterians felt that they should build a more serviceable church to meet the need of an expanding population. World War I prevented any definite move until February 1920, when a congregational meeting decided to build a new church. In December 1921, Knox United Church was formerly opened. Following Church union in 1925 the Trail Methodist Church united with the Knox Presbyterian congregation to form Knox United Church.
In February, 1929, East Trail United Church was formally opened and dedicated. Despite the enthusiasm of the little congregation membership remained modest and the financial strains of the depression were a challenge, so in June, 1936 East Trail United was amalgamated with Knox United Church, Trail. By 1939, however, a survey of the area indicated that the East Trail cause could be supported as an independent congregation if it were re-established. Kootenay Presbytery approved the re-establishment, and it became East Trail-Fruitvale Pastoral Charge at the end of June, 1939. Following the Second World War the church experienced phenomenal growth and the need for expansion was felt, resulting in the opening of a new building in October of 1960. By action of the Kootenay Presbytery in the fall of 1969 the congregation of the Genelle United Church was reconstituted as part of the Knox Pastoral Charge. In 1951 the Fruitvale congregation became a Pastoral Charge in its own right. In 1984 the Kootenay Presbytery approved the joint application of East Trail United Church and Knox United Church to become a two-point Pastoral Charge in Trail. In January of 1985 the two congregations became a single two point Trail Pastoral Charge functioning with one Official Board.
In 1984, Kootenay Presbytery approved the joint application of Knox United Church and East Trail United Church to become a two-point pastoral charge in Trail. In January of 1985 the two congregations became a two point Trail Pastoral Charge functioning with one Official Board. The full amalgamation of Trail Pastoral Charge occurred in 1987, when Knox United was renamed Trail United Church, and the East Trail property was sold. (http://www.memorybc.ca)
The church features a beautiful sanctuary, a large hall, a lending library, a commercial kitchen, and numerous other rooms. As such, many community groups regularly meet on its premises. TUC also hosts a weekly food bank.